9.05.2007

Choosing Direction

tokyo hoop

On of the most uplifting elements of hoop practice for me is how it is strongly reinforcing how much my choices make things happen. After a biking accident about 5 years ago in which I broke my left shoulder I have overused my right side. Naturally my right side took the full force of my hooping and I neglected my left, believing it to be weak and unable to give me the control I needed. Already in a short amount of time I could see an imbalance in my hoop style. Last night Masao and I had a long practice session working mainly on hoop isolation. Mastering the techniques with my right side was a challenge to begin with but we continued together. Masao being a leftie was working on both his left and right side. I held back for a while, holding onto my 'left is weak thought' as I started to practice with my left side I even heard myself saying things like "I can't do it on this side" "My left side is so weak" I realised how my words, thoughts and actions were reinforcing my poor leftie performance.

I made a conscious decision to realign my body, my thoughts and my words. I talked my way through each step on my left side just as I did to my right. I rearranged my thinking, I heard myself saying "My left and right side are equally as strong" "My left shoulder is strong and flexible"

As a result, my motions became smoother, my hoop thoughts became clearer and I began to ease into moves with my left side like I never had before.

I can choose my thoughts, my beliefs and my moves.

I love this photo of Masao at our last hoop class in Tokyo. The Tokyo skyline in the background, the afternoon sun and beautiful Masao enjoying the success of his hoopiness. I adore that we enjoy hoop dance together.

No comments: